Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sleeping In

The conditions under which I, a mother of a seven-year-old boy, am able to sleep in:
  • son is safely stowed at friend's house for sleep over;
  • drank a considerable amount the night before including, but not limited to: one mojito type cocktail, numerous glasses of red wine, a glass of port;
  • ate a considerable amount the night before including, but not limited to: warm frisee salad with Camembert and grape vinaigrette, lamb chop with dried apricots, pomegranate, and Israeli couscous, various chocolate desserts;
  • sat up reading while trying to digest;
  • went to bed around or after midnight;
  • was awakened at 4:37 a.m. by a stranger trying to get into our house;
  • laid in bed, heart pounding, while MB patrolled the front door, called the police, then observed four squad cars and their various activities for about one hour;
  • tried to go back to sleep around 5:30 a.m., unsuccessfully;
  • finally went to sleep, eventually, only to awaken with a start at 10:57 a.m.
And this, friends, is the story of how I learned that I could, indeed, sleep in.
(Also, it turns out, that the guy was probably drunk and meant to go next door to his girlfriend's house, possibly, and the police made him do the drunk test, cuffed him and put him in the squad car, and searched his car with flashlights but then, maybe, just let him go? I'm not sure.)

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Wow, scary, like, seriously one of my worst nightmares, the stranger trying to get in. This nightmare will occasionally awaken me from a dead sleep.

Too bad sleeping in only happens like this--but I too have lost my ability to sleep in, boo. I've slept till 8:30 the past couple of days which feels like an amazing luxury.

ErinAlice said...

Oh my heck. The stranger trying to come in definitely not good. What did Gus do?? Was he barking? Like Lisa B. said it is sad that sleeping until almost 11 ?!!! only happens on days like that but it is better than never getting to. I think the latest I can sleep is about 8:30 also. Glad everyone is okay and that you are rested.

Nik said...

Arg. That sounds very exhausting--leftover adrenaline coursing through your blood stream must not help either. Not only must you sleep in but you must take a nap or three.

Michelle Marie said...

As it is I cant sleep at night because of my anxiety issues. I think that experience would pretty much seal the deal that I would never sleep at night again. Yep, day sleeper for me!

Limon de Campo said...

Oh! This just happened to me too when I was at my parents' house. I need to blog about it. It's awful, isn't it? I couldn't sleep the whole time I was there. Didn't affect my parents at all, by the way.

Aligates said...

A scary tale, but given my last post, I just got really excited that you ate a lamb chop earlier in the evening. I guess I have all the faith in the world that you could kick an intruder's ass to the curb and back, having seen you on the dance floor once or twice.