Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My husband told me to write a sonnet

Sabbatical Sonnet

You must do the one thing that you think you
cannot do, Eleanor Roosevelt tells me. With all
the things due, it’s true, I do not think I can do
all the things I have yet to do. If you think
you can or think you can’t, you’re right. Says who?
Maybe Henry Ford, who wanted to do to
us before we did to him. Maybe it’s true
that thinking is key, that we do as we believe
or we believe as we do. There is only do,
there is no try, another sage says. Try as I do
I accomplish very little with much to do.
Sometimes I sit. I often admire the view.  
Piles shift in space rather than disappear.

I’m on sabbatical. Good thing I have a year.

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I love it.

Lisa B. said...

you are the best with sonnets. I particularly like sliding Yoda in there. And that last line. That's a good one.