Friday, June 10, 2005

The (late) Spring Fast

I know it is a good idea to fast. I usually try to do it once a year. But I always get a splitting headache on the first day. But now, well into Day 2, I feel good. Not great, but good. I realized last night that the reason I get a splitting headache is all the sugar in the fruit juice, without any other food to mitigate its terrible consequences. So today I'm going with the veggie only/lemon juice and water fast. I think I'll be okay.
I also always forget how exhausted I get, how all I want to do is lay in bed, so I slept nine hours (or so) last night. We all did. After Son got up and had a bowl of cereal he came into our bed and slept for another two hours.
So the fast is an attempt for greater health, and I have caught up on my sleep. Also, when I don't have to eat or make dinner, I have more time to go for walks. I'm hoping to go on at least two one-hour walks today.
I've heard (I forget where) that one should: fast for twelve hours a day everyday (from 8 pm until 8 am for example), fast for one day of every week, and fast for one week once a year (I think some people do it twice a year: in the fall you can do a fast that includes rice and miso soup; in the spring a juice and vegetable only fast).
For me, the fast is a good time to reset my thinking about eating (for example, why do I snack so much at night?) and to give my stomach a rest. I get stomach aches more than the average person, so it's a good thing.
It also reminds me of the "news fast" that Dr. Weil recommends, to clear your mind from clutter. I do a "news fast" sometimes. I used to do them once a week: one day without news isn't going to kill me. And it clears your mind from worry about things you can't (immediately) do anything about.
Dr. Weil also recommends bringing cut flowers into your house. Which I have done, roses from the rose bush out front. Very bright and beautiful.
I'm going to drink some Carrot, Orange, Apple Juice now (but just a bit! not too much!). Then I'm going to go for a walk.
Happy Fasting (or eating)!

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Huh! I have been contemplating a spring fast of my own (also late . . .). My daughter is going to Scotland next week and I was thinking that might be a good time to do it.

I read recently (a few months ago) an article of the debunking variety regarding these fasts. However, I grew up as a Mormon, which meant fasting one day a month and donating a fast offering to the poor. I agree that it can be clarifying in a good way.

middlebrow said...

Meanwhile Middlebrow consumed: two sausages, four beers (at the Stingers game), four tacos from the taco stand near Sears on 8th and 9th (after the Stingers game), and a chocoloate milkshake.

Lisa B. said...

Damn you and your metabolism! Damn you!

Clint Gardner said...

Can you drink beer on a fast?