Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Bikini Music

June! Wonderful June! I was driving around yesterday singing along to a Sammy Hagar tune that I don't know why I know the words to (it was "Why Can't This Be Love?"). It reminded me of all the hot hot Idaho summers spent lying out in bikinis in the back yard, on the back porch, at the reservoir (no lakes in Idaho. at least not where I was) or at the Olympic size pool in Lava. I didn't have a bikini body then and I certainly don't now. But there is something about summer that seems to make bikinis okay. It is this same principle that makes me nostalgic for the kind of rock music that Sammy Hagar made. You know what I'm talking about: Van Halen, my favorite Def Leppard, Aerosmith (is it a sin to lump them in with the others?), AC/DC, Guns 'N' Roses, others? I need a compilation CD: Summer Metal or something. Summer of Metal? Metal Summer? Okay, 'fess up. Who is your favorite? (slather on the baby oil and squeeze some lemon in your hair: it's time to tan) (does this remind you of that episode of "Sex in the City"? It was "Hot Child in the City").

3 comments:

Condiment said...

You know, I've always hated that music. Always. I never ever liked any of it--and please don't get me started about the one-armed drummer. Wasn't that a Tennessee Williams play? One Arm?

I do remember, however, going to the big end-of-eighth-grade party at Erin Person's house/farm and having a debate over which song would be number one on the Top 10 countdown that night, "Shout" by Tears for Fears or "A View to a Kill" by Duran Duran. This pretty much divided the entire party into two camps. I was in the "View to a Kill" camp, but I remember Kari Kimball was fervently in Tears for Fears camp. It's difficult to enjoy Duran Duran without irony these days but I still think it's the better song of the two. "Sowing the Seeds of Love" is the best of all, though.

Nik said...

I have to agree with Sleepy E's friend. My nostalgia wafts up most potently when I hear songs by Modern Engish, General Public and PIL. Although my pre-New Wave hot asphalt songs did involve a bit of Loverboy. And John Cougar's Jack & Diane.
So far, I have no songs for the summer of '05. Any suggestions?

Clint Gardner said...

"Jump! Come on baby just Jump! I said Jump!" God-a-mighty I know the words to a David Lee Roth song. It burns! It burns!