Saturday, February 24, 2007

Oscars!

It wouldn't be right if I didn't post my picks for tomorrow's Oscars. I have to say that this year I think I have been the least involved of any year, except for maybe the year Son was born! But, I did manage to see one of the Best Picture nominees, so I feel entitled to pick at will. And so......

Best Picture: Little Miss Sunshine (I love a underdog!)
Director: Martin Scorsese (A make-up Oscar. He deserves one, maybe not for this film....)
Actor: Forest Whitaker!!!! (I heart him!)
Actress: Helen Mirren (the Queen of our hearts!)
Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin (maybe a long shot, but he was so funny!)
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson (I'm a sucker for a good story)
Adapted Screenplay: Little Children (I wasn't crazy about the novel, but it was a novel!)
Original Screenplay: Little Miss Sunshine (great dialogue!)
Animated Feature: Happy Feet (penguins win!)
Art Direction: Pan's Labyrinth (I haven't seen it, but I've heard)
Documentary Feature: Iraq in Fragments (a political win)
Foreign-Language: The Lives of Others (I've read reviews)
Art Direction: Pan's Labyrinth
Cinematography: The Prestige (because it's the only other one I've seen)
Costume Design: Dreamgirls
Editing: Babel (because it needed some? the cuts from scene to scene?)
Makeup: Pan's Labyrinth
Score: Babel (why not?)
Song: Um, something from Dreamgirls? The odds are good (3 out of 5?) I'll choose "Listen"
Animated Short: The Danish Poet (because it has Poet in the title)
Live action Short: Binta and the Great Idea (I liked the picture)
Documentary Short: Recycled Life (I don't know, I like the title)
Sound Editing: Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (like I have any idea)
Sound Mixing: Dreamgirls (because it has music?)
Visual Effects: Superman Returns (because I've seen it)

Well, check back Monday for my numbers. One year I won a free pass for a movie, and Middlebrow and I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" for free. Yeah! But I haven't entered anything this year.
Did I mention I love award shows?

5 comments:

Anais said...

haha just incase i missed the oscars (which i did by the way)


pretty cool =]

Lisa B. said...

I, too, love the Oscars, and am hoping that tonight's family party doesn't repeat the bickering melee that was last year's.

The Departed was my favorite film of this year. I know people keep saying this isn't his greatest film, but it's really good--I wish I could understand why, once you've made Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, if your new film isn't one of those, then somehow the new film is a comedown. Well, it's not. I loved The Departed, and it stands up very well to re-viewing (I saw it like four times on the flight back from the U.K.). So I am rooting for it all the way. I wish Leonardo diCaprio had been nominated for his performance in The Departed--I thought he was good in Blood Diamond, but actually heartbreaking in The Departed.

Anyway, I have seen the bulk of the nominated films this year, except for Dreamgirls and Pan's Labyrinth (I'm skittish about this last because both Blood Diamond and The Last King of Scotland were so disturbingly violent to me, and this one seems possibly disturbingly violent--but I am going to have to get over it because everyone, especially people whose taste I trust, seems to think it is great, and therefore I can't miss it.) By the way, I found myself looking forward to your annual Oscar post, so just know that you have readers with expectations.

Nik said...

Indeed. Dr. Write's post is an annual event. And since I rely on her exclusively for my Oscar knowledge, I would be at sea without the post. Might even watch the show even though I've seen ZERO of the movies because then at least I can see the trailers. (Are they still called trailers at Award's shows?)
Happy Gold Androgynous Dude Day.

ErinAlice said...

Okay I have only seen Little Miss Sunshine but I am watching. I am recording it and mom is coming over and we are going to watch and then fast forward all the parts we don't like. I'm hoping for some upsets!! Oh and the gowns. We musn't forget the gowns!!!

ErinAlice said...

Oh I almost forgot. I am posting a comment to your comment on my blog. Daughter went to Safeway because they could walk and they were learning about the letter S that week. Also they got fresh bread from the bakery and hot chocolate from the Starbucks (also an S word) Fun for all.Daughter liked watching the boxes get smushed in the machine.