Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Thoughts

As I was walking on the treadmill (don't ask), I watched two young girls and one young man on the ice below. One girl was twirling, one was skating, and the boy was leaping and spinning. "They're so lucky," I thought, "to be able to do that." But do they think they're lucky? They looked like they were having fun, but I bet, at their ages, they never once thought that maybe something would happen, an injury, that would prevent them from looking like magic on the ice.
I am feeling sad/sorry for myself that my injuries/pains prevent me from doing things I want to do, like run or lift heavy weight. I know, things could be much, much worse.

I saw a Cadillac Escalade with Virginia plates parked at the U, and wondered, "Why?" I mean, that is one giant vehicle. It made me think about how, when I was in college, I had a bicycle. But, it's true, I had friends with cars. Sigh.

I am quite happy that Moonlight won Best Picture at the Golden Globes. I thought it was amazing.

What I've read/been reading:
"California Dreamin'" by Tad Friend (about Mike Mills) from The New Yorker
an excerpt from The Theory of Absence (on my phone!)
The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman (so far, pretty good)
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (about Ted Bundy; SO CREEPY)


Deep Work by Cal Newport
This one has affected the way I work. I'm trying (!!) to stay off social media all day and FB forever, thus the blogging. I have lists for every day, including a writing schedule and writing goals (which I need to make more concrete). I'm trying to be a "rhythmic" deep worker, which means I set aside time each day to do deep work. I'm also trying to be a person who sops checking her email & looking at her phone at like, 6, each night. Trying!! It's a good book with good advice about being productive which, thankfully, includes a section on Being Lazy. Hooray!

Also, I've realized I'm a highly distractable person. Back to Deep Work!



4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Do you miss things about FB? I know--at least I have a sense--that it's not worth the time I give it, but there are things I like about it too. Like sharing something sort of immediately.

Otherwise, I admire all of this, including the reading, and am sorry that you have injuries/pains and are thus on a treadmill. I hope you at least have an awesome playlist to make it less irksome.

Dr Write said...

I do miss things about FB, but I'm considering never going back because of all the time I waste. Not being on FB has made me more deliberate about reaching out to people individually. I think I am missing out on some things, but I think I'm okay with that.

Ann said...

THIS! I loved. And yes to blogging. Do it.

thesis writing help said...

Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site