Thursday, October 29, 2009

Interview

Do you run because you love it or because you are afraid?
Both.

Do you find that Crossfit influences other parts of your life?
Insufficiently. For example, the facts of weight and strength distribution, the accomplishment of seemingly insurmountable tasks, the lifting of very heavy things over one's head, one would think that such physical manipulations might lead one to the conclusion that other tasks which are, on the surface, easier to accomplish would seem less daunting, nay! easy, in comparison. But alas, dear readers, this is not the case. Words do not magically appear on the page, nor does time expand and slow, nor does the sun rise earlier or set later. Still, as one who can deadlift and one who can clean AND jerk, one would hope that say, writing a novel would come easily. But nay, it is not to be.

What do you eat?
I eat only the flesh of skinny animals or those that swim or larger animals, but only if they were happy. I eat the apples and the bananas and the shakes that taste like dessert but are really medicine. I eat the eggs and the spinach and the cheese. I eat the yogurt. I eat the honey. I drink the coffee, and yes, it owns me, it is my master, the black elixir that giveth and taketh away the pain.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
There is water and a blue sky. The shine during the day is bright and of the sun; at night, small fires. Sometimes there is wine, often chocolate. During the day, Spanish is spoken and at night there is silence. There are tastes of smoke and the sea, the strong scent of pine and rain.

And what about tomorrow?
Always, I am amazed.

Yesterday?
She said to me, she said, never this and then that, never should, never could have, never no.

What does this word mean?
That word?

And how happiness?
Only there is no doorway, no rooftop, no next. In this, I have seen and know, so it must be.

Well then.
So goodbye.

5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

This is beautiful.

Elisa said...

Well, if this is the sort of prose one may osmose from the CrossFit experience, sign me up! Congratulations on your many accomplishments in mind and body.

Nik said...

This does seem highly Zen. I hope your balanced perspective lasts while you snarf up the Halloween candy and guzzle the wine. (I imagine you will guzzle and snarf but with the grace of a monk).

Antistrophe said...

Love the part about coffee. ANd the part about chocolate. And the part about the water. And the part about happiness...

Counterintuitive said...

How do you do this? It's beautiful.

Love the repurposing of this genre; love this line: "I eat only the flesh of skinny animals or those that swim or larger animals, but only if they were happy."