Thursday, February 25, 2010

This Week in Crossfit

Yeah, I deadlifted 225.
Now my butt hurts.
Today, there will be running (or at least "a" run) outside, as well as rowing, double unders, burpees, box jumps.
But, the lesson I learned this week was from watching other people. It's like grade school, when you get bored, and then you look over to see what someone else is doing. Hey, what answer does she have? But, unfortunately, Crossfit doesn't work that way. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.
Why is Person X so much faster than me? Maybe she's doing knee push ups, or maybe she's sacrificing form for time. But who cares.
Because it's only about what I'm doing.
Since I hurt my shoulder, I've had to slow down, concentrate on form. Think while doing. On Monday, I had to do 26 pushups by doing 26 sets of 1 push up. After each one, I thought about my shoulders, made sure they were in the correct position, then did the next one. I was painfully slow. But the pushups were not painful.
The lesson I learned, ergo, (and again, I might add), is Forget Everyone Else. It's not a race. It's about what I'm doing, compared to what I have done or can do.
As James, the trainer, would say, That's some Zen shit.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

That *is* some zen shit. A great lesson in every aspect of life, come to think of it.

word verification: coans. Seriously.

radagast said...

Wisdom (see also, "good shit") from the Zen Zone. Thanks, DW!

Nik said...

Also good for writing. Slow down and pay attention to form. I shall apply the Zen shit to all things today.