Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Some Favorites of the Year

  • Cocktail: The Old Fashioned. Between my lovely, lovely trip to Appleton, Wisconsin & MB's new cocktail book (and let's not forget expensive cherries), this has got to be the best discovery of 2010
  • Wine: sparkling. Love all things sparkly & bubbly. Yeah! 
  • Thing to eat: Sea Salt chocolate
  • Trilogy: The Hunger Games. Gave me some small faith in YA fiction and female protagonists.
  • Mystery: Hypothermia. I may never get over my love affair with Arnaldur Indridason. 
  • Novel: The Anthologist. This was a tough choice. I think I had to choose this one because it was such a nice, quiet book. Not over written, not announcing its greatness, but great nonetheless. 
  • Non-fiction book: Heft on Wheels. Inspiring book about how a man gets obsessive about biking and loses a lot of weight. 
  • Newly Discovered TV Show: Bored to Death. Jason Schwartzman and Zach Galafianakis. Need I say more?
  • Most disappointing new season of show I loved: Californication, Season 3. I mean, I still love DD, but they weren't sure what to do with the story line this season....sad. 
  • Movie watched on Netflix: I've Loved You So Long. I loved this movie, mostly because it was so beautiful and slow and it conveyed so much by letting silence just stand, which most American movies don't do. Plus I think I have a long-standing crush on Kristin Scott Thomas (dating back to "The English Patient"). 
  • 2010 Movie: The Kids are Alright. It's the duo of Mark Ruffalo &  Julianne Moore that put this movie over the top for me. Everyone is good in this. 
  • Best Documentary: Man on Wire
  • Favorite TV Show (that I actually watch on TV): tie between "Glee" and "Modern Family"
  • Favorite new activity: teaching the body-weight exercise class at Studio Azul. I make them suffer & they like me. What else does a woman need?

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I am doing this very same thing. Except in typical grandiose fashion, I will be doing it for three days. Why? I love this edited version. And I concur with many of your choices, too, such as I've Loved You So Long and KST in general; The Kids Are Alright; Modern Family; Hypothermia/The Anthologist, and sea salt chocolate.

Nik said...

Thank you for indulging us in drinks today. Erik said it was the best Old Fashioned ever getrunken.

Counterintuitive said...

Excellent and concur especially with:

*loved Heft on wheels

*also a tie for me between Glee and Modern family for best tv show

*Lastly, totally caught up in Jar city and as Hypothermia made your list and Lisa's I better get ordering the rest of the Erlendur books