Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Favorite Songs: New & Improved Post

Last night at the Bonnie Raitt concert she sang "Angel from Montgomery" which I had forgotten is one of my favorite songs. (The John Prine & Bonnie Raitt version; link is to a version with her and lots of other cool people)
This led me to ponder what other songs would go on my list of all time favorites.
So far I've come up with:
"Fire and Rain" by James Taylor
"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen (and the Rufus version, of course)
"Dancing Queen" by Abba (the Robbie Fulks version from a Fresh Air interview, it's at about 27:00)
"Norwegian Wood" by The Beatles
"My Home Town" by Iris Dement (and the Kate Rusby version)
"Don't Go Back to Rockville" by REM
"Tangled Up in Blue" by Bob Dylan

*Additions:
"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (I also like the Dixie Chicks cover)
"Killing the Blues" by Shawn Colvin
"Oops I Did it Again" cover by Richard Thompson
"Tempted" by Squeeze
"Lady is a Tramp" (Here's a version by Sinatra & Fitzgerald)
"Summertime" Billie Holiday
"State Trooper" Bruce Springsteen
"River" by Joni Mitchell
"Out on the Weekend" by Neil Young (cool version from the BBC)
"Speed of the Sound of Loneliness" John Prine


I know there are many others, but my mind is tired from staying up late last night. Dear readers, what are your favorite songs of all time?

9 comments:

Nik said...

I think the John Prine Bonnie Raitt version of that song may be my favorite song ever. Now I'm sad I didn't bring my iPod to school today. Or stay near the Red Butte so I could hear Bonnie Raitt sing it in person.

ErinAlice said...

Bonnie Raitt?? How cool is that? Okay I love
-Everybody Hurts by REM, it just popped into my head.
-Mad World the Michael Andrews version from Donnie Darko.
-Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain and Angel Flyin' Too Close to the Ground by Willie Nelson. There are so many but those just came to me. I just realized these are all kinda depressing songs. I guess I need to get out more.

Lisa B. said...

Lucky! you went to Bonnie Raitt.

I, too, love "Angel from Montgomery," and also many other Bonnie songs, including her version of "I Can't Make You Love Me." I love "Sky Blue and Black" by Jackson Browne, and also "Late for the Sky." "Court and Spark," Joni Mitchell. "Shotgun Down the Avalanche" by Shawn Colvin. There are too many!

ErinAlice said...

Okay I also love Angel by Sarah McLaughlin and At Last by Etta James. Rappers Delight also never fails to entertain me. I also like Baby Tonight by Bob Bylan ...like you my list could be endless. It is hard to pick, isn't it??

lis said...

Just because you asked I can no longer think what my favorite songs are. . .

but, definitely "Come on Eileen" which has been my favorite since second grade.


ABC, by the Jackson Five

Heart of Glass, Blondie
(now they are coming back to me)

Girlfriend in a Coma, the Smiths

Love Will Keep Us Together, Captain and Tenille

I'll be back with more examples, don't worry. . .

julie said...

Your list is a lot like mine. I also love Dimming of the Day -- Bonnie's version is good, but Mary Black's is the best.

Lisa B. said...

"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right." Bob D.

"Lola," The Kinks.

"Human Nature," Michael Jackson.

ErinAlice said...

Dr. Write how could you forget Copacabana. I already introduced the daughters. Gotta love Barry.

Renaissance Girl said...

"Sister Golden Hair," America

"Big Sky Country," Chris Whitley

"There is a Light that Never Goes Out," The Smiths

"Second Nature," Electronic

"Heartbeat City," The Cars

"Like a Prayer," Madonna

"Night Fever," Bee Gees

"Kid in Candy," The Spinanes

"Sleepwalk," Santo and Johnny (that's the name of that song, right? the slide guitar one?)

"Wire" and "God's Country" and "The Fly," U2

"When Ye Go Away," the Waterboys

"Let's Groove," Earth Wind and Fire

"The Maker," Daniel Lanois

I'll stop now, so as not to take over your comments page.