Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Birthday Lesson

A fellow blogger, whose birthday is today, made a list of things he's learned, one for each year. Well, I am older than him, so it's going to take me awhile to think of (gasp!) 41 things. So I thought, in the spirit of breaking things down into rounds, I'd start with ten and do a few lists in the week leading up to my birthday.
Ahem. To begin:

  1. There are really very few people who are going to love you in spite of who you are, so when you find him, for god's sake, marry him (done!)
  2. Savor each second, minute, hour, day with your child, because pretty soon he will grow up and it will be sooner than you think
  3. Age is all in your mind (because as far as I'm concerned, I'm still 28)
  4. The things that you think you shouldn't do or eat are not as good as you imagine them to be when you are denying yourself; Forget about them and move on
  5. If you are not improving as you get older, something is wrong (and the benchmark for "improve" is all up to you)
  6. Weightlifting is hard; writing a novel is harder
  7. Keep trying new things
  8. Fail. Fail better. Fail again.
  9. What looks like failure is really just an opportunity to try a different way
  10. You must do the one thing you think you cannot do (thanks Eleanor Roosevelt). Like: Crossfit or writing a novel.

3 comments:

ErinAlice said...

Nice list. Can't wait for the others. Oh and I'm 28 too!!

Lisa B. said...

These are excellent. I'll be mulling them over. Keep 'em coming.

Nik said...

I love the count-up. It's like advent for your birthday.