You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. What book do you want to be?
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (It's been on my mind. It must be those prostitutes.)
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
In high school, I think I was in love with Holden Caulfield. But I definitely was in love with Ambrose, star of "Lost in The Funhouse. " I think it was all the descriptions of him in the funhouse with that girl. Or something about sweaty legs sticking to the back seat on family car trips.
The last book you bought is?
Duck on a Bike by David Shannon? For Son? Okay, I'll say Letters to Wendy's by Joe Wenderoth for Middlebrow. And The Complete History of New Mexico by Kevin McIlvoy. Both at AWP.
What are you currently reading?
Loving Che, by Ana Menendez. And some Elizabeth George novel. Not at the same time of course (but sort of at the same time, in that I am in the middle of both).
I should say student portfolios, but I haven't started them. Yet.
Five books you would take to a deserted island:
- Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn. Because I haven't read it yet and I'm sure it's great.
- The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Because I have read it, it is great, and I would love to read it again. And again.
- Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. Because I've read it, like, three times. And I would read it again. And then I could read it out loud. And then I could do a dramatic modern dance interpretation of it. And maybe I could become J.W. and magically transform into a "writer."
- Oyster, by Janette Turner Hospital. (What's with these Jane-/Jean-ettes?) It is amazingly captivating with its lyricism and plot. What I aspire to.
- Remembrance of Things Past (the Lydia Davis translation). I'd finally have time!
Three people you hope will answer this meme after you:
- Middlebrow. Because I want to know the answers.
- Sleepy E. I wonder if The Red Pony would end up anywhere on his list?
- HighTouchMegastore. Because I want to know the answers.