Saturday, September 01, 2007

Pretending I'm Not Old

I went out last night with some, shall we say, younger people. Not only did they drink me under the table (they were under the table, metaphorically, while I was upright, sipping my ice water), they reminded me why I am usually home, asleep, after 11 p.m.

  1. Music at clubs is loud. And mostly incomprehensible. Witness Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I couldn't bear to listen to the music at their website, but I'm guessing it's just as incomprehensible as it was last night at 12:42 a.m.
  2. You can't talk to anyone. (see number one)
  3. Young people are weird. Maybe it's just that people are weird, but there were lots of people with face piercings and abundant tattoos. But perhaps even more strange was that, mixed in with those people, were some girls who clearly were trying to dress like/be Paris Hilton.
  4. I'd rather listen to music in my living room while I drink beer or wine or whatever. I can control the volume and, what's better, turn it off if I feel like it.
On the plus side, I did like the opening band, whose lyrics were more comprehensible. One of my companions compared their music to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! The only lyrics I could hear were "I like shiny things." The lead singer then proceeded to name all the people in the band and say, for example, "Lewis likes shiny things." Apparently the front man/song writer for this group grew up in Orem. Enuf said. I think they are called Perbats, but as it was so loud in the club, that is only a guess.

The Sleepytime Monkey people were scary, in a screaming, speed metal way. AND the lead dude looked like a satyr. He should have been playing a pan flute.
On the plus side, I ran in to old friend Brian K, who was a sight for sore eyes. And whose eyes aren't sore when one is standing in a smoky bar past midnight?
One of my companions showed up after 11, was surprised to find me still there. I bought him a big (huge!) beer in honor of his 25th (that's right!) birthday. I made everyone promise me that they were walking home before I left. Ever the mother.
I also had to promise to show them pictures of myself with a shaved head. But that's a different story.

3 comments:

ErinAlice said...

Wow. You are brave. The thing with "younger" bands is that have all these totally ridiculous names...Red Jumpsuit Apparatus for example. I mean what ever happened to naming a group after a member, like Van Halen or Bon Jovi??? Or short names like Devo or Yaz??? I mean really. Also 11 is way past my bedtime. Sounds like you survived so that is good. I was at the mall the other day and I swear I saw at least 10 young girls that looked like Nicole Richie. Yikes!! Either her or Jessica Simpson. Good grief. I guess I can be grateful they did not want to look like Britney Spears. But just remember-you're only as old as you feel!!!

Lisa B. said...

You are not old. I have felt for quite sometime, however, and I am older than you, so maybe this hasn't happened to you yet, that there's a forcefield that physically repels me from entering certain venues. Sounds like that club would have been one of those places. Also, it looks like you exited with dignity, etc., intact. Go, Dr. Write, forever young.

lis said...

hey, what do you mean by the lead singer came from Orem, enuf said? Don't be dissing my home town.