Thursday, March 06, 2008

It's Hard Out Here For A Mom (For A Mom)

Okay. This is not a pity party.
But.
I had a hard day. Two meetings. Two!! I recognize that some people spend their days in meetings but I didn't sign up for that life and you damn well know that I don't have that salary.
But.
I love my kid. I do. You know I do. But the meeting I had to sit through because I care about the quality of education he receives and puts his little heart into....so. frustrating.
I almost, almost, said just screw it. I'll put him in a regular public school where I don't have to deal with this "whole child" speak. I mean, I want him to get the best education. But I almost feel as if I am punished for caring so much. I know I am. I mean, it's not cool to care, right?
I also feel bad for wanting so much for so little. I know the teachers don't get paid enough. I know it! I'm willing to pay more. But unfortunately my willingness to pay more gets divided by all the people who (in this state) procreate beyond their means and then want us (those of us who only have one child) to pay more for the same education. Okay. I'm willing to accept that. But. But!!
I'm willing to work for what I want. Put in the hours. Do the overtime.
But. But!!
I have different goals. The teachers have some goals and the parents have others. And never the twain shall meet. (that's a bad, no terrible literary reference. I'm embarrassed to admit.)
What is good for this?
Well. To start: red curry and masaman curry. And beer. And then a bottle of wine.
And then American Idol. And then some chocolate.
Then "Lipstick Jungle."
What is most redeeming for me about this trashy, 40-something drama? I can be candid and admit that I love Nico's affair with a young man and the way he wants her. Also, hello!, Brooke Shields has arms like I don't know and I love her!!
Enough said. Over and out.
*I had to edit out the F word. I re-read it this morning. Must remember: don't blog at night while upset after drinking too much wine!!

5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Even the "whole child" schools are crazy bureaucracies, and they think they know better than you--so glad to be done with all of that, so sorry you had a bad day, glad you had curry and tv to take the edge off. Would love to hear the whole story, while shopping and/or eating. Before and/or after a matinee.

ErinAlice said...

Okay I just ranted to the principal at the girls' school about my frustration with snotty upper middle class white parents who act like you are a terrible parent for putting your child into public school. NO!! And then they say "Oh, I've heard bad things about that school." Have they ever been there? NO!!! I am sick of people who base their opinions on what they hear. Geez!! When they hear I am getting a degree in education then they really start talking and I want to say: "You should stop now because you are sounding more and more ignorant as this conversation goes on." Also, these parents who don't want anything but white kids in their school. What the....? Are you kidding me??!! I should have had beer and wine but I just had 1 beer and then watched AI. It helped a little.

ErinAlice said...

Oh also, love the reference to It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp. Very cool. You are SO with it!!

susansinclair said...

I hope the wine and curry helped with the attitude adjustment. As for meetings, I think we progressive types are as terrible about these as those white-collar-beauracratic-types. I mean, committees? And if we don't have a committee, we're mad because the process was too unilateral or insufficiently transparent. Are we every happy? Yes: if everything goes my way, I'm very happy.

Don't join the Unitarians, by the way, because they are some serious committee folks...like, it's part of the sacrament. If they had one.

Anonymous said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 个人工作总结 班主任工作总结 年终工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 评估报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 销售方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 模板范例 技巧经验 工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 通知 毕业论文 合同 肺癌 肝癌 胃癌 肾癌 食道癌 直肠癌 结肠癌 胰腺癌 卵巢癌 宫颈癌 乳腺癌 子宫癌