Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Full Time Mom

Today I had a "Full Time Mom" day, because I gave my Honors students the day off, so that I could persuade them to attend the Science and Literature conference on Thursday, Friday and/or Saturday. So I lifted weights (my legs are still sore!), attended the Health Fair at Son's school, then went to a Child's birthday party, where Son colored Easter Eggs and consumed his own weight in sugar. Then, after all that, it was Soccer Night. I am pleased to report that on our team the mothers seem to be trying to outdo each other in the "healthy snack" department. Middlebrow put the ka-bosh on our bringing water and bought a metric ton of juice boxes from Costco (all praise Costco, the source of all things plentiful and cheap!). Oh well. I am also happy to report that in this, our third game, all the kids actually seemed to be paying attention to the ball. Son even kicked it once or twice. Aside from one of the goalies (faux napping in the goal), we seemed to be improving.
So being a full time Mom is hard work, even when I'm not thinking about all the grading/work I have to get done, and even without the time pressure of having to be in class at a certain time. It was an exhausting day. I don't know how people with more than one child do it and still manage to smile sometimes. I think I am tempermentally unfit to be a full-time mother. It seems like it should be easier than, say, teaching, but in reality it's like having two full-time jobs, because even when you're not with your children, you are thinking about what you need to do when you are with them. I realize I'm not saying anything new here, but I actually think it is less work (in some ways) to sit in front of the computer and write. (What's the saying? That's not writing, it's typing. Let's hear it for typing!).
I realize that I can't seem to break away from Motherhood as a topic. So, next time, I will write a rough draft of an abstract for a conference proposal on representations of Mothers in fiction. I can make my day-to-day banalities sound like high theory. Just watch! (oops! I may have just oversold my next entry.) Well, you'll just have to stay tuned. . . .

No comments: