Sunday, March 13, 2005

In Til Lect You A Liz Em

I feel the need to say something smart in order to justify the existence of my blog. But I drank some wine and I've been watching TV, so don't expect too much.
Lately my existential malaise has centered mostly on the distinction between making a living and making a life. I feel like I've been pretty good at the latter, and not so good at the former. The key, as with most things, is balance. How much of my life should I sacrifice in order to put food on the table? I haven't been particularly good at sacrificing writing time for financially lucrative labor. But now I have Son. And Middlebrow shouldn't have to bring home the Bacon so I can sit at the computer and think Deep Thoughts and make Art.
But I will continue to sit at my computer and think Deep Thought and make Art, Dammit! You can't stop me!
So, I've been trying to write 1,000 words a day AND be a good mother. AND look for a job. But I haven't been cooking. (There I go again: food!)
In other news, our book club chose Loving Che by Ana Menendez and Eyeshot by Heather McHugh. I'm looking forward to reading another book of poetry. It's been awhile since I read one cover to cover.

And another few stories for the list:
12. How to Tell a True War Story by Tim O'Brien
13. A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor

Nighty-night. Straight to be now, and no reading in the dark!

No comments: